May 24, 2010

AFM Round 3: Infineon

It was a windy weekend at Infineon with gusts blowing people off everywhere, especially at the top of the blind rise of 3a and down the carousel in turn 6. Despite the wind, we made some big changes on the 848 that ended in a new best time of 1:48.2.

The ladies race had another great turn out on the grid, though that sadly shrunk with the loss of Christie and Shelina. Christie went down in 3a on the first lap right in front of me and in the split second I had to think I hoped and prayed that she would slide to the left and thus out of my path, which she did. I would've really hated to run her over, so thankfully that wasn't necessary. It was unfortunate though, after her showing last month I wanted to see Christie put the hammer down on Joy! But after the first two laps I, myself, lost sight of Joy and spent the remainder of the race imagining Shelina breathing down my neck. I didn't know that turn 6 had taken Shelina and as each lap passed I couldn't believe she hadn't pulled a move yet.

I had made a last minute ride height adjustment which helped in most areas, but had developed a little sketchy wobble over the hill into 9. On the fourth lap, I came over the hill into 9 not quite far enough to the left of the track and the little wobble turned into a nasty tank slapper. But I practically let go of the bars and it sorted itself out. With my heart in my throat after that incident, I just kept my head down and tried to pass lappers as kindly as possible (though it is quite terrifying with the speed differential-- I wonder if that's how the leaders of Open Production felt passing me on my SV650 in Open Twins).

I heard after the fact that Stacy and Sarah had quite the battle throughout the race. They pushed each other so much Sarah dropped 5 seconds off her best time! That's amazing improvement. Go ladies.

Sunday morning was thankfully less windy and therefore quite a bit warmer. After a short practice I gridded up for 750 Superbike. Apparently there had been a revision of the grids because a bunch of people were wandering around in the wrong spot and poor Jason Butler got sent to the back row. I got an acceptable start, but got battered down in turn 2 and backed off a hair in an attempt not to get someone's front tire plowed up into mine. I need to realize that if I don't back down they will! Once things settled down a bit after the first couple turns Christie Cooley passed me and I resolved to at least stay with her. She's got me in 5 and 6, but I catch right back up on the brakes into 9, and I was instantly up her bum into 1 and 2. I got my opportunity going into 7, though in my haste to leave her behind I almost blew 9 and expected a pass back. I was lucky and it didn't come. I rode well for the rest of the race, getting my best time in the last lap.

I was still struggling a bit with turning the bike, due to the lack of trail, I believe, and I couldn't hit my marks for 8 which inevitably ruined my entry and exit for 8a, and that effected my drive down the hill to 9 where I never felt that I was getting to full throttle (a Motion Pro quick turn throttle might've helped here too).

By the time Open Twins rolled around my arms and legs were still aching from 750 SB. But I had a great grid spot: second row, all the way on the outside. I got an awesome start and was 5th into Turn 2. Jason Butler and Nickers Hay-Man passed me in between 2 and three and I sat in 7th for a couple laps. Arm pump was settling in from muscling the bike through 8/8a and I felt like my left leg was going to fall off in the carousel. Then Scott Miles took my position and I had renewed adrenaline influenced energy. I stuck with him and realized that I could totally keep pace. In fact, I could pass him back! And then the adrenaline wore off and I remembered that I couldn't move my arms. My pace slowed again and Steve #711 (with whom I had battled at the last round) got by me too. He passed Miles too, and I watched them sit just out of reach as I listened to the groan of my body parts and groaned myself at the half way flags wondering how on earth there were still four laps left. On the last lap in turn 9 I saw a flurry of dirt and bike parts on the ground. I didn't see what happened, but I heard later that an Open Production rider had come into contact with Steve and/or Scott. Unclear on the details myself, but Steve made it through and unfortunately, Miles didn't. That left me in 8th place crossing the line, my best finish yet in Open Twins.

A hard weekend, but a good one overall, with a new best time and a new comfort on the bike that I hadn't felt before. Thanks so much to Mountain Militia Racing without which I wouldn't be ripping 48's on the 848, and Super Plush Suspension, giving me that super plush feel that I didn't even know I was craving.

I almost forgot: the absolute highlight of the weekend was Saturday afternoon when I was pedaling along on my bicycle and spotted Chris Van Andel. I stuck out my right hand to give him a high five and realized that I was moving to quickly. With my left hand on the brake, I pressed.... a little too firmly. "Press" is probably too light of a word. "Grab" would probably be more appropriate. Before my hand met Chris' I was head over handlebars on the ground with the bike upside down on top of me! It took me until Sunday afternoon to realize that the left hand brake is the front one. Whoever invented bicycle brakes did it expressly to confuse motorcycle riders.

Don't forget to keep yourself updated at zoegoesracing.com

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure what I enjoyed more...being front and center for the high five mishap (it was your laughing about the whole thing that was great), or watching you smoothly overtake me in turn 7. Beautiful pass and I didn't have the fight in me that day to give you an unladylike on track response. Maybe next time! :)

    Great job this weekend Zoe.

    ReplyDelete