May 17, 2010

TTX eGrand Prix-- Race Day

Saturday morning we got a new controller for the bike which solved the problem of the throttle cutting out at full open. Unfortunately, it wasn't installed into the afternoon qualifying at 4pm. I had much improved lap times from Friday, but not enough to make much of a difference: I was still gridded last.

Sunday morning was a cold and windy one. In time for the 9am practice Pril Motors Team Owner, Alex Prilutsky, had added two more batteries and played with the settings on the new controller. It ripped in practice (relative to the day before, mind you). After the petrol bikes got in their morning practice we were ready for the race.

Even though there was one bike doing similarly slow times to mine, I feared that with his bike being faster he'd gap me on the start and it wouldn't matter even if I did go faster than he. However, when the green flag dropped I shot like a rocket... well, like a remote control car perhaps, and passed the Team Wild Square bike to my left, and Jenn on her Werkstatt Marizen. It looked like Jenn had an immediate issue with her bike and I didn't see her for a while, but after a lap or two she came back and passed me into 11. Dito Milan with gotbluemilk.com got a great photo of the exit of 11, where I completely had Jenn on drive, but unfortunately the Ninjette tapped out on power before we were straight up and down and of course the Marizen continued to zoom ahead.

A similar pass was made by Spencer in turn 9, I had him on drive out of 9, but the little Ninja just stopped producing power far too quickly. Moral of this story: great torque! Which means, with a million more batteries and another motor or two, we could have a real race bike on our hands.

We ended up sixth overall, in a tortoise and hare situation, and it was a well deserved effort on team owner, Alex's part. Alex put in a tremendous amount of effort and always came to the table with a smile and a great attitude. I can't thank him enough for giving me the opportunity to be a part of history and find out what electric bikes are all about. I'm tremendously excited for their future, and am eager to continue to be a part of the TTX GP series.







1 comment:

  1. Awesome that you were part of it. Wherever you finished this year, you are part of history in a way that will never be as unique in years to come.

    ReplyDelete